Thursday, June 17, 2010

Journal Entry 1

Over the next few days, I’m going to post excerpts from my journal along with photos from my mission trip to Monrovia, Liberia.

Sunday

The first 24 hours of the trip were exhausting! Starting in Nashville, we flew to Newark, from Newark to Brussels, from Brussels to Africa. First stop is the Ivory Coast to refuel and reload and then on to Monrovia, Liberia, YEA!! We received the ROYAL treatment at the airport and was ushered ahead of other who were waiting in line. We felt like ‘Rock Stars’ as we were given preferential treatment over other travelers at the airport. I’m sure they are still wondering, “Who were those three ladies?” and “Why did they get such special treatment?” We met Maria, Willitte and Francis then we were whisk away to waiting vehicles along with our luggage. All our luggage arrived when we did, I’ve heard that having all our luggage arrive with us is a major miracle here in Monrovia.

We traveled down the dark highways, no electricity here, everything is run off generators since the war. After arriving at our compound, we met the staff and learned that they have planned a late dinner for us. I was able to get a quick shower before going to the dinning room. The food was excellent but we had a ‘strange’ incident with a light fixture above our food exploding and fall off the wall. No one was hurt or cut and no glass went into our food. Our prayer warriors are on the job!

I’m glad we have air conditioning in our rooms. The lights just went off along with the air conditioner. The lights are back on now but not our air conditioner! Ervin, our chef, sorta’ fixed our AC. I’m pooped, I’m going to bed!!!

We have a lizard, I’m going to name him Larry and zip the suitcases up tight! Good night, don’t let the bed bugs.. um.. lizards bite.

Frankie

No comments: